Movie trilogies can go various ways. They can go from good to bad to awful, or good to bad to good, or good to good to bad. Sometimes all of them are really good. Not often, but sometimes. Here are some of my favourites!
7. The Captain America Trilogy
- The First Avenger (2011), The Winter Soldier (2014), Civil War (2016)
The first was a solid WWII origin movie, the second is an awesome spy conspiracy movie and the third is an epic hero-vs-hero movie. They get better and are arguably some of the best comic book movies, bolstered by superb performances by Chris Evans as the star-spangled hero.
6. The Indiana Jones Trilogy
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Temple of Doom (1984), The Last Crusade (1989)
The first is one of the best adventure movies, the second takes on a darker tone and goes mystical and the third introduces Sean Connery and goes more comedic. Harrison Ford is great, Spielberg is on top form and all three films are enjoyable in their own ways.
5. The Back to the Future Trilogy
- Part I (1985), Part II (1989), Part III (1990)
The first is one of the best science fiction movies, with Doc and Marty (Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox) being one of the best tag teams in movie history. The second takes things to the future then back to the past and the third goes all out western! They’re a bit crazy and a whole lot of fun.
4. Star Wars Original Trilogy
- A New Hope (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Return of the Jedi (1983)
Talk about great sci-fi movies and you have to mention Star Wars! The first is an amazing accomplishment of building an entire new universe whilst the second is one of the greatest films of all time. The third is the weakest but is still a very good film. The effects, the characters and the story are all amazing and this trilogy is timeless!
3. The Dark Knight Trilogy
- Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Arguably the best superhero in the best superhero movies. The first is an amazing origin story, grounding Christian Bale’s Batman in reality and giving him some great motivation and action. The second film is incredible. Not only one of the best superhero films, but one of the best films full stop. And not just because of Heath Ledger’s Joker. The third is a tad too long, but serves as a great close to the story of Bruce Wayne and gives him some great action and a formidable foe to face in Bane.
2. The Dollars Trilogy
- A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965), The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Three of the best in the West. Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western trilogy is so good. The films only get better! Clint Eastwood brings his best as the stoic hero of the three films. The first is a great game of double crossing between warring gangs, the second features uneasy alliances surrounding a bank robbery and the third is an epic tale of three opposing players all working with and against the other as they search for a hidden fortune. The music of Ennio Morricone is phenomenal, the action and cinematography is great and the performances are fantastic. Everything is just so perfect.
1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002), The Return of the King (2003)
One of the most epic journeys ever gets brought to the screen in the most epic way ever. A fantastic ensemble cast set out on a mission to save the world from evil. It’s a simple set up but the story takes so many twists and turns and manages to focus on the characters so well. Peter Jackson deserves heaps of credit for managing to stage some of the most epic and massive battles ever committed to screen and yet still focus on the character moments within and further the personal stakes within a larger world. Everything is so amazing, from the special effects to the score, the acting and casting to the costume and production design. Epic really is the best word to describe this incredible trilogy and some of my favourite films of all time.
The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy
- Shaun of the Dead (2004), Hot Fuzz (2007), The World’s End (2013)
The Godfather Trilogy
- Part I (1972), Part II (1974), Part III (1990)
The Toy Story Trilogy
- 1 (1995), 2 (1999), 3 (2010)
The Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy
- 1 (2002), 2 (2004), 3 (2007)
The Evil Dead Trilogy
- The Evil Dead (1981), Evil Dead II (1987), Army of Darkness (1992)